Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dazed and confused

That is exactly what my weekend was full of.

What was supposed to be a weekend full of visiting both my parents ending up giving me a reality check.

I had not spoke with my parents prior to Friday the day they were supposed to arrive so I assumed they had changed there mind about coming for a visit.

Oh no, My dad who has always been a rock for my mom and supported her through MS seems to have developed dementia.

After speaking with a DR. It may also just be a burn out or a mental breakdown from being a caretaker for so many years.

I have made an appointment with his Dr. next month so I can go talk to him about what is going on.

We started by finding him in a local parking lot (completely by chance) and I could tel something was wrong (1 my mom was not with him, 2 he was pale and disoriented).

Joe and I took him into Subway and he could not order a basic sandwich. We knew right away the signs of dementia and ordered his food then took him back to our place.

He ended up leaving at 3 in morning and drove back home, Thankfully he made it safely but I am overwhelmed with worry and don't know how I am to manage an ailing mother and father at the same time.

On another note, I have also have had an epiphany of the meaning of friendship or what I thought was friendship.

A friend is not someone who calls or e-mails you only when they want or need something from you but calls just to cry with you or laugh about life and it's craziness together.

I am soo appreciative of the support..so thank you!

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked..this always puts a smile on my face :)

I am looking forward to this weekend for a much needed lovers getaway with my Joey.

I am not sure where we are going as Joe has planned a surprise for us but I am sure we will have a wonderful time like we always do.

Please keep my parents in your thoughts and pray I will figure out how to help them in the best way possible.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Furonda, you and your family are always in my thoughts. I hope things with your parents go as well as they possibly can. Have a wonderful weekend with Joe. I hope to see you sometime soon. Hugs and kisses.

Misty Carpinito said...

Oh my goodness Ronday. So sorry and sending your and your family all the prayers we can. Oh and cracks make character...just like wrinkles only go were the smiles have been! ;o)